Thursday, November 4, 2010

Journalism synonym Sensationalist

I was very fascinated by the idea of being a journalist primarily because my self-centered mediocre thought process demands attention. To get attention with the resources I had was not very difficult, I was good at writing, reading and well ‘suffering’ from verbal diarrhea- my job options-content writer, content editor and journalist. Journalism fascinated me most and I stepped on to the bandwagon of the millions of people wanting to just be ‘media’. Only difference is I got in and millions every day do not make it. Suckers.
‘Main media mein hoon’ is an oft-used phrase, which, as harmless as it seems, gets you away from the mighty policeman who whimpers for reasons unknown at the sight of a press sticker. Yes, we do have the power of the pen, we can write you off like your whole life’s worth amounts to worthless pennies at the bottom of a muddy pond. I wonder though why the law, and when I saw law I am referring to the policeman himself in the uniform that so many amongst us dread, gives in to the slightest nod of a journalist. I wonder at times that if it isn’t because of the sensation that we create around the job we do.
Yes journalists do publish sensationalist write up’s in order to get maximum readership because that’s what it all boils down to eventually. But they create this certain sensationalism around themselves, they associate with the work they do so much (intruding peoples lives, passing judgments, controlling the way the public reacts to things) that at times it creates an attitude, which keeps their noses high up in the air. I am not condemning journalists by any chance, I am nothing but an inconsequential being in the world wide web of journalists. There is so much still to learn and experience but what I DO NOT look forward to is having an attitude, which exudes superiority to any living person (and the dead can turn in their graves as journalists worldwide ‘dig up’ stories to sensationalize their respective publications ranging from dead people to well all the alive ones). A stereotyping of the lot you could perhaps call this particular rant of mine, but it is not against a set of people, for I am part of that set, it is against the set of values that most people belonging to the set walk around with which I rant against. Again the rants of an insignificant person are seldom heard of, in which case I spare myself the wrath of those with the power of the pen and blend into the clan again, hoping deep inside I do not become what most of them have-sensational;)

5 comments:

  1. check this out.
    you have just lost your freedom of speech.
    because you're a journalist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My professions is not restrictive, it has opened up so many new ideas and prospects. At my level which is well grass root, yes I do not have the freedom of speech to exploit as I would like to;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job. Well written. You are not inconsequential;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. patridge.
    fr a journalist ur grammar is bad.
    :p

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really? Constructive criticism most welcome;)

    ReplyDelete